To develop graduates of character in an environment of excellence.
To be the standard for all facets of student achievement, producing successful, active citizens.
- We believe we are cultivating today's students into tomorrow's leaders.
- We believe we are developing character to empower students to define their successes.
- We believe we are enabling students through academics and extracurriculars to graduate.
Established in 2010, Veterans High School is located in a rural community approximately two hours south of Atlanta. VHS is the newest of five high schools in the Houston County School System. It serves approximately 1750 students in grades 9-12 with ninety full-time certified teachers, four counselors, and one media specialist. Dr. Lionel Brown served as the first principal from 2010 - 2015 and Dr. Chris Brown served was principal from 2015 until 2018. Dr. Amy Barbour, previously Assistant Principal of Instruction, became Principal in 2018. She leads a team of four assistant principals.
An important factor about Veterans is its proximity to Robins Air Force Base. As a result, a high concentration of students has military connections, bringing diverse backgrounds and experiences, along with the difficulty of parent deployments and relocations.
Having been named to American Promise Alliance's 100 Best Communities for Young People and voted one of the Best Communities to Raise a Family in 2012, Houston County is a community which values and supports education. As a result, many families and civic leaders cite the school system as a major factor in annual population increases. In addition,
Veterans has been successful in establishing a unified culture where the student is its focus. Relationships between and among administrators, staff members, students, and parents are vital in laying the interdependent foundation where success is seeded. The school is located in a community where education is paramount. The system and the community are dedicated to making all students successful. In all aspects, VHS's motto is tangible: Excellence is the standard, not the goal. Veterans High School was named a one of America's Best High Schools by U.S. News & World Report in 2018 and 2019. In addition, the graduation rate of Veterans High School reached 96.7% in 2020.
- Houston County is the 13th largest school district in the state of Georgia, and has an average student-teacher ratio of 13:1.
- In 2020, the Houston County School District was named the #1 Employer in the State of Georgia by Forbes.
- Houston County's graduation rate is 89.6%, 5.8% higher than the state's 83.8%.
- Starting with 6 AP offerings in 2011, the average student score was 3.05 and the pass percentage was 69%, both of which were above county, state, national, and global averages. In 2011, the offerings were increased to 10 courses, and enrollment increased significantly. Again, VHS scored above county, state, national, and global averages with an average student score of 3.29 and a pass percentage of 72%. In its first eligible year, the governor named VHS as an AP STEM School, having tested students in at least two AP math courses and two AP science courses with at least 40% earning a score of 3, 4, or 5.
- Athletically, the girls' soccer, softball, and volleyball programs have made the Elite 8 in the state twice. The varsity competition cheer squad has been the region champion for three years and the state champion in 2012 and 2013. VHS athletes have earned region titles in football, baseball, cross-country, golf, soccer, softball, track, and wrestling. Individuals have qualified for state in cross country, golf, tennis, track, and wrestling. VHS has been the all sports region champ two times, and David Bruce has been Athletic Director of the Year twice.
- The Air Force ROTC unit was named in the top 5% of the nation's units. Both of the ROTC instructors were name Outstanding Instructors, and we've had an AFJROTC AFA Cadet of the Year. FBLA, FCCLA, FFA, and DECA have all had students who placed at either the Region, State, or National level. In 2011-2012, the Graphics department received PrintED Industry Certification.
- In 2010, the meets/exceeds percentage for all first time testers on the Georgia High School Writing Test (GHSWT) was 95%. In 2011, the meets/exceeds percentage increased to 99%, and the result was 98% in 2012